Monday, April 15, 2013

The Cut: Pork Chop






Pork chops are one of my favorite cuts of meat. Ever since I was a kid, I loved pork chops. When I was younger, my mom used to serve pork chops with duck sauce, a dish I still associate with the best meals from my childhood. Although my palate has evolved from pork with duck sauce over the years, I still enjoy a nicely cooked chop whether grilled, roasted, or baked.  


Many people don't like pork chops because they can dry out relatively easily if over-cooked, and here in the US the norm for preparing a pork chop is cooking to medium-well to well-done. While I always order or prep pork chops to medium or medium-rare, the same as steak, most people don't deviate from ordering or making an "over-cooked, dried out" chop. To avoid that, I make a breading, from fresh bread and herbs, to cover the pork chop and keep the juices in to avoid the chop from drying out.


Pork chops are the most popular cut from the pork loin, which is the strip of meat that runs from the pig’s hip to shoulder. Loin chops are from the lower back, just behind the rib chop, and have a characteristic T-bone shape. These chops include a lot of meat as well as a bit of tenderloin meat.1 When shopping for pork chops, choose meat that is pale pink with white-colored marbling, and when cooking, remember that cook time primarily depends on the thickness of the chop.

Pork chops are high in protein and low in sodium, making the "other white meat" a healthier choice than steak. However, pork chops are high in cholesterol and should not be eaten more than once or twice a week. Below is the nutrition card for a 3 oz. serving of pork chop: 

Retreived from http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-pork-fresh-loin-top-chops-i10063?size_grams=85.0

1 Pork Be Inspired | Cut Chop

No comments:

Post a Comment