Monday, February 11, 2013

The Dish: Pan-broiled Flat Iron Steak with Basil Pesto








Pairing the flavorful char of a steak with the fresh taste of basil makes this dish one of my favorites. In addition to tasting great, it is incredibly simple to prepare. The pesto can be made up to a day ahead of time and refrigerated until an hour before being served. The steak can be seasoned right before hitting the pan and in total, you can have a wonderful meal prepared in 30 minutes or less 




I chose a 1.25 lb. flat iron steak, which I cut into two steaks to ensure even cooking, from Fleisher’s to serve three people. I prepared a batch of basil pesto a few hours ahead of time, and made sure it reached room temperature before I pan-broiled the steak for 15 – 20 minutes on the stove. Next, I allowed the steak to rest for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing into strips and serving topped with the pesto.

I additionally prepared some slow roasted green beans and onions as well as mashed baked turnips with shallots, both variations of the recipes below. 
Charred steak, fresh basil pesto, roasted green beans, and baked turnips made for a fantastic and fresh winter meal. Try it at home when searching for a nice weekend dinner or, alternatively, a quick weeknight meal.


Suggested Sides:



No comments:

Post a Comment