Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Dish: Vinegar-Braised Chicken with Roasted Carrots







Sweet and sour. The interplay between the sweet roasted carrots and sour braised chicken make this dish fun to eat. I had never braised meat before I made this dish, and it was such an easy technique to use to add such great flavor to the chicken. I used this recipe from Bon Appetit as the base for my chicken recipe and, in prepping this dish, made the following modifications:

    (1) reduced quantities of ingredients by half to serve 2-4

    (2) replaced the panchetta with salt packed capers

    (3) replaced chicken broth with vegetable stock

    (4) replaced the bay leaf with fresh thyme

    (5) replaced the chicken wings with two bone-in thighs

The carrots can be prepped ahead of time and put into the oven shortly after the chicken.  Season the chicken just before browning and you can have a flavorful meal prepared, from prep start to serving time, in under 60 minutes.


I chose a Murray's 3.25 lb. whole chicken, which I butchered at home, and two additional bone-in thighs to serve four people. I prepared the carrots ahead of the chicken, browned the onions, and heated the braising liquid (vinegars and vegetable stock) in a pan. After adding the chicken, onions, and capers and to the pan, I braised the chicken for 30 to 35 minutes. I added the carrots to a preheated oven with 25 minutes left on the chicken and took everything off the heat at once.  Finally, I plated the carrots, chicken, and onions, drizzling the braising liquid over the top of the chicken.

I additionally prepared one of the recipes below, a baked risotto with roasted winter vegetables. Sweet carrots, vinegar chicken, and hearty risotto made for a filling and enjoyable meal. Try it at home when searching for a nice weekend dinner.


Suggested Sides:



No comments:

Post a Comment