Monday, January 6, 2014

The New Year: A Healthy Start


Happy New Year! A crazy end to 2013 left me unable to add new posts, but one of my resolutions for 2014 is to add content to this blog more regularly.

Blog writing is not exactly a widely shared New Year's resolution, but eating more healthy/dieting is always at the top year-on-year. I have seen a lot of different articles over the past month which outline the best ways to start off 2014 from an eating perspective, and my favorite concept is also one of the simplest.

Mark Bittman's New York Times column last week discussed many sustainable food resolutions, but I especially liked the one which involved making the foundation of your weekly meals on Sunday. I believe it is a great way to enforce healthy food habits throughout the hectic work week. I have decided to adopt this resolution myself for the coming year. 

I will be cooking vegetables, leafy greens, beans, and grains on Sundays to use throughout the week in soups, salads, or healthy "bento box" lunches. This will not only save me money throughout the week, but also help me avoid making bad food choices at the office. 

Read the relevant excerpts from Mark Bittman's column below:

"Cook simple, unseasoned vegetables every few days. You can steam or parboil or microwave. Once cooked, vegetables keep a long time. And then they’re sitting there waiting to top pastas and grains, to bolster soups and salads, to whip up veggie wraps or just to reheat in oil or butter with seasonings."

"Cook big batches of grains and beans. Because it’s nearly effortless, and having cooked grains and beans on hand at all times makes day-to-day cooking a breeze. They will keep in the fridge up to a week."

If you too want to adopt this as a resolution in 2014, try out some of the recipes below:
Beans
Greens
Grains
Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment