Friday, January 17, 2014

The Review: Consider the Fork



Retrieved from http://www.considerthefork.com/


Review


My cousin gave me this book for Christmas and I have been reading it on my commute for the past several weeks. I really enjoy it, although I can see how it is not a book for everyone. Consider the Fork is an amazingly in-depth history of the evolution of domestic cooking. From 15,000 B.C. to today, Bee Wilson provides the reader with intriguing facts and stories about how some of the most common technologies (pots, knives, cutlery, and more) in our kitchens have evolved over time. 

How much carbon is in a stainless steel knife? 0.75% is optimal.  Why is the spork so great? It's not, for many reasons. Ever wonder about the importance of cooking pots?  They allowed previously inedible foods to be cooked in water. It is that type of information that makes Consider the Fork such a dense encyclopedia of cooking facts. I love to learn about food and cooking, so this book was perfect for me, but I can certainly understand how the percentage of carbon in your 6" Santoku knife isn't everyone's cup of tea!

  • Jump around from chapter to chapter and read about what you're interested in
  • Expect dense chapters that go into great historical detail 


Paperback Edition from Barnes & Noble




From the New York Times:

"Only when you find yourself rattling off statistics at the dinner table will you realize how much information you’ve effortlessly absorbed."

"Wilson’s insouciant scholarship and companionable voice convince you she would be great fun to spend time with in the kitchen."


No comments:

Post a Comment