Monday, July 15, 2013

The Deal: Best Pork Chop for Under $5





Don't think you can eat well for under $5 these days? Think again. I recently spent just under $5 on a great weeknight meal. A pork chop. A bunch of fresh parsley. A clove of garlic. A couple of plum tomatoes. A cheap meal that tastes anything but cheap.

The grand total for ingredients (all of which I purchased at my local butcher store) came in at $4.77, not too shabby for a Tuesday night dinner. I diced some parsley, garlic, and tomatoes (a 2/1/1 ratio) and added to a mixing bowl with a few teaspoons olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Once my dressing for the chop was ready, I made a rub from coriander, cumin, and sea salt and seasoned the pork before adding to a hot pan. I pan-broiled the pork chop until cooked to medium-rare then served topped with the parsley, oil, and tomato dressing.

Don't be fooled, good food does not necessarily mean expensive food. Anyone who knows me knows that I enjoy an inexpensive calf's liver as much as an expensive steak. Be on the lookout for cheaper options at your local store and remember that good, fresh ingredients will always taste good and fresh when prepared properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment